Generators are the go-to power options in times of emergency or while camping, tailgating, etc. You’re probably considering getting one and that’s why you’re going through Champion 4000 Watt Generator Reviews to determine whether it’s worth the investment.
Well, we scoured the web for the truth, and we have it all in this Champion 4000 Watt Generator Review. Unless you’re one that likes wasting money, you may want to read some of the shocking findings about the generator in this review.
About Champion 4000 Watt Generator
- Product Name: Champion 4000 Watt Inverter Generator
- Champion Generator Best Price: Click Here to view the lowest price on Amazon.
- Brand: Champion
- Corporate Website: ChampionPowerEquipment.com
Champion Power Equipment, the makers of the Champion 4000 Watt Generator, is an American manufacturer of all sorts of power equipment including portable generators for camping and RVing, home standby generators, inverters, log splitters, transfer pumps, winches, engines, and their accessories. The company has been around since 2003 and they’re currently headquartered at 12039 Smith Avenue, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Features
- Advanced Open Frame Inverter Design – A hybrid of inverter and open frame generators.
- Quiet Technology – 50% quieter than a standard 3500 watt generator.
- Clean electricity for sensitive electronics – low THD (Total Harmonic Distortion of 3% or less).
- Parallel Ready – Link two 2,800 or higher generators if you need more output power.
- Fully Assembled – just add gas and oil.
- Extended Run Time – up to 17 hours at 25% load.
- Quick Touch Panel – all controls on one panel.
- Economy Mode – enables you to save fuel and extend engine life.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Noise Level
The Champion 4000Watt Generator has a dBA rating of 64 at 23ft. Your shower or normal air conditioner is a little bit louder. Well, that’s quite a remarkable noise level rating for a 4000W generator as most 3500W gas generators will produce double the noise at 23ft. Champion says they were able to cut the noise level in half by integrating digital inverter components to the model. So you can definitely bank on that Quiet Technology feature they have going on with as one of its outstanding features.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Fuel Type
The Champion 4000 runs solely on gasoline. When the 2.9-gallon fuel tank is full, it will power your appliances for around 8 hours at half load. You’ll also be able to operate sensitive appliances as it produces clean power of less than 3% THD, backed by a low oil shut-off filter to keep your devices safe.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Specifications
- Gasoline Starting Amps at 120V, 33.3A
- Gasoline Running Amps at 120V, 29.2A
- Volts: 120
- Frequency: 60Hz
- Outlets: 120V 30A (TT-30R), 120V 20A Duplex (5-20R), 12V DC Automotive
- GFCI Outlets: No
- Covered Outlets: No
- Covered Circuit Breakers: No
- Inverter: Open Frame
- DC Operation: Yes
- Voltmeter: No
- Automatic Voltage Regulation: No
- Battery: No
- Start Type: Recoil
- Brand: Champion
- Size: 224cc
- Type: 4-stroke
- Speed: Variable
- Fuel Gauge: No
- Gasoline Capacity: 2.9 gal.
- Tank Material: Steel
- Oil Type: 10W-30
- Capacity: 0.6 qt.
- Low Oil Shut-Off: Yes
- Length20.5 in.
- Width17.9 in.
- Height17.7 in.
- Weight81.6 lb.
- Wheels: No
- PGMA G300-2018 Compliant: No
- EPA Certified: Yes
- CARB Compliant: Yes
- Remote Start: Optional
What We Like About The Champion 4000 Watt Generator
All-Round Functionality – The Champion 4000 Watt Generator packs a punch in functionality. The hybrid concept is a nifty achievement as you get an inverter generator designed as an open frame generator. It is also CARB and EPA compliant so you can use it in national parks, forests and just about anywhere. Again with economy mode you can save on fuel for extra runtime.
Reasonably Quiet – A 4000 Watt generator with a dBA rating of 64 is reasonably quiet. Normally with such wattage you’ll be buying an awfully loud equipment. But they cut the noise in half by adding digital inverter components thus switching the inverter functionality form motorized to electric. The result is a generator that hums instead of roaring.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Problems
Now that you know the strengths of the Champion 4000W generator, you might as well read about its weaknesses. That way you’ll know exactly what you’re getting into if you decide to buy it.
Misleading Power Capacity – The most common problem with this generator is its capability at full load. Some customers say it operates like a champ at 25-50% load. But once you need 75% to full load it will just shut off. Others say they weren’t able to keep their RVs’ AC on and still have other appliances like the microwave or mini-fridge plugged in. So don’t expect to run the unit at maximum capacity all the time.
Eventually Gets Loud – Popular opinion is that the generator is reasonably silent while new. However after a couple months’ use, seemingly six or so it will start to rattle and get louder by the day. Some users say you could hear the noise from about 100ft away. Customers who followed up on the problem with customer service did get the digital inverter components replaced but the problem persisted later down the road.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Parts
One way to get around a generator’s problem is to have the ability to replace faulty parts conveniently. Well, with the Champion 4000W you’ll be able to replace the following:
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Maintenance
With generators how well you maintain them will determine how long they’ll last. So with that in mind here’s how you keep the Champion 4000W Generator on the up and up all year round.
- To prevent accidental starting, remove and ground the spark plug wire before performing any kind of service.
- As a rule of thumb, change the oil when the engine is warm. To change the oil, remove the oil drain plug with a 12 mm socket and extension. Then, allow the oil to drain completely. Next, replace the drain plug, remove oil fill cap/dipstick to add oil. You can then add up to 0 .63 qt (0.6 L) of oil and replace the oil fill cap/dipstick.
- While checking on the spark plugs, first remove the spark plug cable from the spark plug. Then sse a 13/16” or 21 mm socket to remove the plug. Inspect the electrode on the plug. It must be clean and not worn to produce the spark required for ignition. Finally, ensure the spark plug gap is 0.7 – 0.8mm or (0.028 – 0 .031 in.)
- Use a damp cloth to clean the exterior of the generator, and a soft bristled brush to clean dirt and oil.
- Check oil level and clean around air intake and muffler every 8 hours or daily.
- After the first 5 hours of operation, change the oil.
- Clean the air filter every 50 hours or every season. Change the oil if operating under heavy load or in hot environments.
- After every 100 hours or every season, clean or adjust the spark plug. Furthermore check or adjust the valve clearance after the same period. Again, clean spark arrestor, fuel tank and filter.
- Place it inside a water-resistant storage cover while storing it away. You can get one on Amazon.com if you don’t have it.
- Remember to fire up the generator every 14 days and leave it running for at least 20 minutes.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Warranty
Champion will grant you a 2 year limited warranty on this unit’s parts against workmanship and material defects. But they say you’ll have to cover transportation charges if you return the generator for repair or replacement. That said, perhaps you already know dealing with warranty issues can be a nightmare. That’s why it’s always a good idea to shop at trusted stores like Amazon.com where you're guaranteed reliable customer service and easy returns if you don’t get what you bargained for.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Manual
You can go here to view or download this unit’s manual.
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Best Price
You can buy the Champion 4000 Watt Generator for anywhere between $550-600. To get the latest price, click here to visit Amazon.com where you may get the best prices and deals like FREE 1-3 Day shipping if you’re a Prime member.
In addition, you can save even more money while shopping for generators like this one using sites like Rakuten.com which gives you the chance to earn cashback and coupons. Another way to save money while shopping online is by using SwagBucks.com which offers cashback on shopping. Furthermore Swagbucks helps you earn cash and gift cards for what you already do online like visiting websites, reading emails, watching videos and more. You can then use the cash and gift cards you earn to save while shopping online.
Other Generator Models To Consider
Perhaps you’re not entirely convinced that this model would be the right choice for you at this time based on its underlying problems or any other reason for that matter. If that’s the case here are other Champion 4000W generator alternatives you can consider as well.
- Westinghouse iGen4500 – Same output power for half the price
- DuroMax XP4000S Generator – Same outpower, cheaper, equally silent
- WEN GN400i 4000-Watt Inverter Generator – Open frame, cheaper, more runtime
- Coleman CG1200I Inverter Generator – Smaller, quieter, more portable
Should You Buy The Champion 4000-Watt Generator?
If you’re looking for a quiet yet powerful and functional generator then the Champion 4000 Watt will definitely achieve that. But you may have to replace a few parts after continued use to keep it quiet, but at around $600 you’ll definitely get value for money.
That said it doesn’t score great in terms of portability since you’ll have to add a carrying case with wheels to roll around with it, but at roughly 80lbs you shouldn’t worry too much about portability.
They went all in on technology with innovative features like economy mode, the quick touch panel, parallel-ready adaptability and extended runtime. So overall it’s a worthwhile equipment in the 4000W class.
Well, that’s my Champion 4000 Watt Generator review. Would you buy this unit or do you have another one in mind? Feel free to let us know in the comments section below. If you still have questions, you can find answers on the product’s Amazon page.
Until next time
Eddy “with a Y”
Champion 4000 Watt Generator Review
You're probably thinking the Champion 4000 Watt Generator is worth the buy. You'll be shocked by the facts we uncovered about the portable generator in this review.